Monday 12 August 2013

Shedding Shenanigans!

Rocco has had an amazing couple of days, and I am so proud of him.

As you know, Savannah has excelled in everything in comparison to Rocco. She eats brilliantly, she hides and camouflages like a boss, and is fantastic at jumping.
Rocco, however, tends to win over our hearts through his dopey characteristics and adorable appearance.

Dad and I were amazed last week when Savannah gobbled down 2 meal worms.
Since we placed them in a bowl in the vivarium, we were also amazed that she had found the bowl and gobbled down a further two, plus lapped up some CGD.

When I'd seen how much Savannah had been eating in comparison to Rocco, I was concerned about his eating habits. Was Savannah eating a lot due to poor feeding in the store, or was Rocco just not eating enough?

I spent the night at my partner's place last night, and I asked my Dad if he would feed Rocco and Savannah for me with some meal worms.
He put some in the vivarium for Savannah, but took Rocco out to try and introduce him to the meal worms.

At around 10pm last night, I suddenly got a call from my Dad, informing me that Rocco had demolished six entire meal worms!
Why do I always miss every amazing milestone!? I missed Savannah's first feed, and now Rocco's first successful feed...

I got home this morning, proud of my little boy, thinking he suddenly looked a lot wider. Six meal worms inside their tiny bodies really is quite a lot.
He looked rather pale too, and I joked to my parents he had probably stretched his skin from the meal worms and needed to shed.
We placed him back in the cage and got on with our evening.

Later on in the night, Jack and I spent some time in my bedroom doing puzzles and lying on my bed.
Then, from the corner of my eye, I noticed something peculiar... Rocco was moving.
Surely... Surely it couldn't be... He was actually moving...!?

I crawled closer, intrigued, to find something even more amazing...

He was shedding!!!

I cannot explain to you my excitement when I discovered him shedding. His head had just emerged from the shed, and this perfectly formed little gecko head with little holes in the eyes and the ears was hanging from his body.

I watched him as he pulled it off, opening his mouth as wide as I'd ever seen. I even got a chance to grab a peek at his calcium sacs, which looked amazingly healthy. This eased any fears about him not getting enough nutrients.
He rubbed his body on the rough jungle vines, helping remove the shed from his tummy.

After he got past his feet I thought I'd already seen enough and I knew he needed some space, so once I'd grabbed some photographs and captured a few videos (although they were rather dark), I left the little guy to his business.
We made sure we did not vacuum my room, made sure it was nice and humid for him, encouraged Savannah to sleep somewhere on the other side of the terrarium and dimmed the lights.

Here's some dark pictures and videos (if they will load! I tend to have trouble uploading videos to my blogger at the moment) of Rocco shedding.
They are quite dark, I'm sorry, but it was late evening and we wanted to keep the lights down for him.
There are a few with accidental flash, but other than that, you'll just have to have to make out the image from the darkness.

Hope you enjoy! :-)











Hope you enjoyed those!
Sorry that the last few images were extremely dark. They're meant to show Rocco pulling bits of shed off his back and his sides.

Come back tomorrow for a post about introducing new geckos!
I hope you enjoyed my first post back. :-)
Rocco really is quite adorable.

Elly. x

2 comments:

  1. That 1st video is awesome! He's really opening his mouth up! Awesome!

    I just found your blog and its really cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ben! Thank you!
      It was quite annoying that the images and the videos turned out so dark. I didn't want to turn up the lights or use the flash because it could stress him out, and the permanent flash on the second video just made him hide haha!
      It was fascinating to watch his mouth opening up so wide. I'd never seen either of them do that before. I was so glad I caught it!
      I'm pleased you're enjoying my blog :-) do come back more often. I'm planning a post later on today.
      Elly. x

      Delete

Feel free to comment if you have any questions or anything to say!